Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Goodbye, Monday Night Football

Last night was the final broadcast of ABC's Monday Night Football. The NFL will move the broadcast to ESPN.

MNF started the year I was born. Sure, it's the end of a 36 year run; however, despite being a die-hard football fan, I can't say I'm disappointed. In fact, I can't decide how I feel. For me, MNF won't be missed as much as the days in the 1970s and 1980s when NFL dominated the Sunday airwaves. I enjoyed Sundays watching the games with my Father and brother. Being much younger than my brother (and of course my Father), I enjoyed listening to them and learning the game through their comments and such.

Additionally, perhaps it's the fact that in recent years MNF hasn't held the mystique it once had when Howard Cosell and Frank Gifford were in the booth. It wasn't the same with Dennis Miller and his ilk. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Dennis during his one-year stint on the show and felt he added an angle to the broadcasts that possibly many viewers couldn't appreciate or comprehend. I believe the vituperative attitude towards him was similar towards Cosell in his later years.

Other than Joe Theisman's broken leg, I don't have memories of the individual Monday Night Football games. It's more of the charactors who were a part of the show from days long gone who I miss. Perhaps that's why I have no sadness now for the transition to ESPN.

See also:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home