Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The stranded and their owners

During the days following Hurricane Katrina, my Dad said he'd never allow rescuers to abandon his dog. I can understand the reason, but don't see the logic as it's a strictly emotional decision. However, his sentiment has come to fruition as pets in New Orleans are "the No. 1 reason many of the estimated 10,000 residents still holed up in their flooded homes are refusing to leave."

Volunteer Steve Miller doesn't see why FEMA is not allowing the simultaneous rescue of people and their pets. Not being a health or animal expert, I would venture to guess that these animals (which aren't always just cats and dogs) may have diseases and/or fleas which can easily transfer to humans. Additionally, these animals require food, water, veterinarian treatment, boarding facilities and other amenities not readily available. We've already seen how difficult it is to provide the human element with the basic necessities. Not to mention what would happen on a rescue boat if a dog decided to attack a child or other evacuees causing injuries, death, drowning or any number of other problems. In other words, animal rescue creates a whole new set of challenges that are overridden by the need for human safety.

However, if these animals are so important it seems to me that PETA and other organizations should be doing more.

It would be extremely difficult for me to abandon my dog, but I would if my life and that of my family were at risk. Maybe I'll write a letter to Pres. Bush about my concerns.

This may be my last blog entry as I'm sure Dad will have his dog run me off. I think I may have just been removed from his will too.

This, of course, is in my humble opinion.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack Coffee said...

Well, first if I were the father of a young family and the decision came down to their safety vs leaving my dog behind, it would have to be the dog left behind.

But, being as old as I am and knowing that my wife, and your mother is more than capable of taking care of herself, I would have first made sure that she was safe and well armed, then either stayed where I was with my dog, or walked out with him on my shoulders.

9/07/2005 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home